Albertina, Palais and Museum
The Albertina has one of the largest and most valuable graphics collections in the world. One of the Habsburgs’ most opulent residential palaces, the Albertina is situated on a remnant of the former city wall. The ALBERTINA Museum is currently presenting a comprehensive selection of the most outstanding works from the Princely Collections Liechtensetins under the title From Rubens to Makart.
Masterpieces of its collection include Dürer’s “Hare” or his “Hands Folded in Prayer” and other works on paper from Rubens to Picasso and Rauschenberg. On permanent display is the private “Collection Batliner”, featuring works from French Impressionism to the Russian avant garde and contemporary art.
The palace takes its name from the collection’s founder, Duke Albert of Saxe-Teschen (1738-1822), a son-in-law of Austrian Empress Maria Theresa (1717-80).
The staterooms of the largest Hapsburg residential palace are kept in shining yellow, green and turquoise, partly furnished with original furniture. Both the entire gilding of the carvings with the special alloy “Albertina gold” and the artistic parquet floors with rose and ebony intarsia are well worth seeing.
Duration: 1,5 hours